Monday, November 22, 2010

A Choice In Food

My favorite place on Facebook to either read or participate is on The Truth About Agriculture page. One of the recent posts on the page was about Tasha and the realization of her personal journey as a human. I as an agriculture producer am very concerned by many previous posts I've done on Animal Rights Groups and their wanting to define animal agriculture production. But a personal blog post by Tasha I found was very interesting on an individual who was living a Vegan lifestyle. It's lengthy but I found it eye opening and a wonderful read on many levels. I am a person who believes in personal choice in many areas of your life. Those choices are afforded me, too, as a citizen of my country by our Constitution. So Tasha's choice to be a Vegan is fine with me. The only thing I don't like about some Vegans is the rants against Agriculture Animal Production. I care about the animals I raise to supply food for my family and extended family. I care about the animals who will leave my farm to another or stay to provide this country with the very best beef genetics of the two breeds we raise. I raise grass fed beef genetics and I don't like grass fed beef, which is my choice. Not liking grass fed beef does not mean I disagree with someone eating this type of beef. I blame it on being 50 years old and not wanting to change what type of beef I do like. I urge you to read the post all and the comments. The comments leave you understanding what she writes at the top of the post:

UPDATE: Thank you all for your comments, I never expected this post to get so much attention. However, I do not have the time nor the desire to continue moderating comments. Some of you have been amazingly supportive and have shared many thought provoking ideas, and I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, others have made threats against me and my family and that I cannot tolerate. So, thank you all very much for reading my post but I am going to be turning off the comments. I hope you can understand.

Why on earth would anyone want to threaten her life or her family's? I just do not get it. What makes her evil for choosing to change her diet from a vegan diet to a omnivore diet because of her health? I suppose one of the most common attack comments was saying she really was a meat industry plant. Ughhhh, the typical conspiracy theory when you have no other substantial science based argument. Really couldn't you come up with something more creative? Yet, Shannon if you want to be a vegan it is great, just let me and everyone else have their choice of diet.

From Shannon: '
You guys, this person is just a plant from the meat and/or dairy industry. It’s obvious because “she”talks about stuff that isn’t relevant to “her” supposed reason for writing this.'

The most interesting thing Tasha wrote was the following:

'First, I now no longer lie to myself about the fact that life requires death. Second, I am now healthy. Just like always, I still care intensely about the environment, the well being of animals, and the politics of food, but my ideas of how to do the most good and effect the most change have drastically transformed.'

I'm glad she has found a new purpose in her activism. At the same time I'm not expecting her to believe or think like I do about Agriculture. I don't necessarily agree with her on her beliefs but they belong to her and are a part of who she is as a human being. But ultimately in this post and the comments she received I have a better understanding of the vegan mind. For that I am grateful. And it isn't about putting a vegan down for their beliefs or activism, but maybe to find some way to have them understand the need for meat in our diet of those who choose to eat meat.

Thank you Tasha for a very insightful post and I am delighted you have regained your health! I look forward to reading about your continued journey.

No comments: