Monday, October 1, 2012

Hawaii Pineapple

I had a very special photo in my mind sitting on my desk for almost three weeks.  I just became smitten once my head really focused on the Oct. 1st Sketch for Nuts About Sketches blog!  I could see the photo I scrapped immediately in my mind just how to work with the photo, the papers, the ink, distressing and mists!

I needed a tropical feel even though the photo is B/W!  I'm not a tropical kind of color person.  I'm also not a Bo Bunny person although moving to more heritage type of papers has now drawn me in.  Bo Bunny Gabrielle was not a line I could grasp, but I loved all the butterflies as they have been hot hot!  Last year I was visiting the LSS in Buffalo, sadly now closed, I found Gabrielle paired up with Graphic 45 Once Upon A Springtime and I fell in love.  Purchased five papers and some embellishments....got home and thought I'll never scrap with this.....LOL!  But oh I love Graphic 45.  I could only see these two lines combined to do this layout of my Grandmother in a Pineapple Field.


I did a little research into Hawaii's pineapple production in the 1950's!  Got to love Google.  I wanted to know how that machine worked in the background.  Interesting contraption.  Yet I love all things agriculture. I would love to be able today to chide my grandmother for wearing a blouse, skirt and hat on of all things a farm!  LOL....I know it is associated with her working at American Home Magazine.

One can take a peek here to see what I used on the layout!  But really my favorite ever distressing tool is the Prima Rasptool!  The link is to a great video on how to use the tool by Jamie Dougherty. This was the first time I played with it and I am in love.  Beautifully balanced and light weight to distress giving you loads of control.  I recommend this tool if you do not have one.  And of course available at my favorite online store, A Cherry on Top!



I purchased the Quickutz 2x2 Pineapple die just to do this layout!  Even had to use the distress tool on it along with a paint brush and Glimmer Mist and Chalk and the pineapples were ready to be mounted.  But the white on the brown paper just hid the pineapples.  A little Apricot Nectar Chalkboard and done, I had the look I wanted for the pineapples.  Super fun creating this layout!


Such a cute die!!!!  Photo credit to Lifestyle Crafts and one can click here to see the die in larger size!


1 comment:

Treasa C. said...

Fabulous layout Kim!!